The College of Dentistry was born on March 1, 1922 with Dr. Joacquin Ladao, Sr. as its first Dean. The college was housed in a modest annex building bordering San Anton School in Sampaloc, Manila, which is now the Jhocson Memorial Building. It is one of the earliest colleges of dentistry in the Philippines and is now in the fully renovated Allied Health Bldg, 570 M.F. Jhocson St., Sampaloc, Manila.
In 1934, Dr. Jose L. Referente took over the deanship from Dr. Ladao, when the latter was appointed to the Board of Dentistry. In 1940, Dr. Cayetano C. Eustaquio succeeded Dr. Referente as the Dean until the outbreak of World War II in 1941 when NUCD had to close.
In 1946, NUCD re-opened, with Dr. Jose L. Referente again as the Dean. The great number of students in 1948 compelled the administration of the University to install new equipment like the top of the line S.S. White Dental Chairs. NUCD also opened a separate clinic for “Pedodontia” under Dr. Corazon del Mundo-Cruz, who trained in Pedodontics at the Forsyth Infirmary for Children. At that time, the NU College of Dentistry was the only one offering this special course. A separate clinic was opened for Orthodontic under Dr. Jose Lerma, an orthodontist.
In 1949, the College offered short post-graduate courses in special fields of Dentistry, like Radiodontia, Orthodontia, Pedodontia, and Prosthetic Surgery. To meet the needs of audio-visual education, NUCD put up a projection room with a complete set of 8mm films, as well as lantern slides and 2x2 inches slides. NUCD had the cutting edge equipment at that time. Many of its graduates migrated to the USA and became very successful dentists, thus spreading the good name of NUCD.
With the resignation of Dean Jose L. Referente, NU President Domingo Jhocson temporarily assumed deanship until April, 1956 when Dr. Federico Eugenio was appointed acting dean of the College. In March 1958, the administration appointed Dr. Eugenio as permanent Dean. After almost three decades of wholehearted service, Dr. Eugenio was succeeded by Dr. Gregorio D. Gabriel, an equally efficient and dedicated alumnus of N.U. who served for 13 years. New Japanese dental chairs upgraded the old reliable S.S. White units.
With its early success and very reasonable tuition, NUCD was very popular but was soon getting overpopulated. Then, disaster struck in the 1998 fire which completely razed the main administration building and a few other buildings. However, NUCD was unscathed.
Amidst all the changes, Dr. Willy Uy assumed the Deanship in 2002. He started several academic reforms and rejuvenated the faculty.
The new President and C.E.O, Mr. Teodoro J. Ocampo, the 3rd generation of Jhocson, youthful and energetic, soon took over and introduced bold and innovative reforms. In spite of numerous difficulties, N.U. progressively moved forward.
In 2005, Dr. Alberto Antonio C. Roa was appointed the new Dean. Soon, the faculty grew to include some of the Philippines top dentists, many of whom trained and earned degrees from the USA.
In June 2009, Dr. Joseph D. Lim was appointed as the new Dean of the College of Dentistry while at the same time, also serving as a member of the university’s Board of Directors.
In March 2010, the old Allied Health Building, then occupied by three different colleges - Dentistry, Pharmacy and Nursing - underwent a full renovation to exclusively house the College of Dentistry./p>
The Allied Health Building, which was constructed in the 1920s, is one of the heritage buildings listed in the National Historical Institute. While this three-story building retained its iconic Neo-Classical design, it is envisioned to educate a new generation of dentists with its state-of-the-art equipment and cutting edge technology.
The College of Dentistry now consists of 20 impressive faculty members:Dr. Modesta Adolfo, Assistant to the Dean; Dr. Edwin Serrano, Chief of Clinics & In-charge of the Dental Technology Course; Drs. Philip Fullante, Jackson Sy, Nelson Angeles, Yolanda Bahaya, Annalie de Lemos, Prescilla Goquiolay, Nick Guzman, Reece Aldrin Valdez, Noemi Pato, Raymundo Vinzon and Raymond Reyes, DMD.
Fully air-conditioned, the building has a total floor area of 1,565.7 sqm. The first floor, in its 1st phase of completion, is occupied by the clinics with 24 brand new Ritter dental chairs from Germany. In its 2nd phase, it will see the installation of at least another 20 brand new dental chairs. With 122 years of history, Ritter is a by-word in the dental industry
The second floor has a big, spacious, complete Dental Technology Laboratory that includes the capability for both ceramic and zirconia training. It is also where the classrooms, each with a capacity for 40 students, and the offices of the deans, faculty members and a conference room are located.
The third floor has a state-of-the-art Audio-Visual Room with a seating capacity, theater style with theater seats, for over 100 students. It comes complete with an operatory with two brand new Ritter dental chairs for teaching purposes, live and in real time. In addition, this floor also houses more classrooms, a research room and dental library.
Currently, a total of 162 students are enrolled at NUCD, with 82 new students which meant an increased enrollment of 105% over the last school year.
Beginning September, 2010, the College is offering the following Certificate Courses: TMJ and Functional Jaw Orthopedics, Snoring and Sleep Apnea & Implant Dentistry.
Research studies, in collaboration with Unilab, Dentsply; and training/research with Biolase on dental lasers will commence within School Year 2010 -2011.
Plans are also afoot to offer masteral courses in due time.
- Dental Technology
- Dental Hygiene
- Two-year Pre-Dentistry Program
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)